For those of you who have built and led teams, I'm sure you can remember a time you've pursued a "rock star" from somewhere within your organization for an open position on your team. And why not? The person is proven. They've delivered results. They clearly know how to navigate the organization. It completely makes sense to try to convince them to join your team, right? Hopefully you see the merits of the approach. To recap why it's good to buy damaged goods: easy to recruit and hire, significant performance upside, little business risk, ability to showcase your leadership skills, more committed and engaged team members and increased bench strength. If you do this frequently enough, you eventually become a net exporter of talent because other managers will be coming after your throngs of newly-minted rock stars (for more on being a net exporter of talent, read Leading Teams: Build your team! Get rid of them!). And don't underestimate the value of the loyalty to you doing this engenders in the person you hire. I have a couple of folks (who used to be considered "damaged goods") who still stay in touch and will always support me no matter the circumstances. Why? Because I took a chance and believed in them. One of them is one of my best friends now. What are you waiting for? Go give someone a second chance. They deserve it. Go buy some damaged goods. I can almost guarantee you'll be happy with your purchase. - Mike Figliuolo at thoughtLEADERS, LLC
Here's the problem - every other hiring manager in your organization who has a spot to fill is thinking the same thing. All of you are pursuing the same rock star. This dynamic decreases your chances of landing this individual and therefore the expected value of your time spent recruiting them diminishes with every incremental manager who's seeking out the rock star. The problem gets compounded by the fact that you will probably get somewhat myopic in your pursuit of this individual because of course they're going to take your role, right? And if they're going to do that, you'll extend the offer so why spend any time screening other candidates? Yeah. And then the rock star spurns you and you've lost 2-4 weeks of valuable recruiting time.
"But Mike, if I land the rock star, it makes it all worthwhile." Really? Here's something to consider - how easy will it be to keep that rock star challenged and more importantly, how will you fend off the hordes of other managers who will try to hire the rock star away from you? And if you're not challenging the rock star, the likelihood of you losing them to a competitive offer goes up.
So what's a hiring manager to do?
Me? I prefer to buy "damaged goods." There's nothing wrong with these people. It's just that somehow along the way, they had problems and people extrapolate that problem into a broad trend. These individuals become organizational pariahs. Managers don't invest in developing them because they're not "worth it" and hiring managers don't pursue them because they don't want to introduce "performance risk" into their teams (see Leading Through Risk Taking: "But he's never done that job." "I know." for more on another manifestation of this dynamic).
So why buy damaged goods? I'd be taking on a "known problem" and have to invest significant time in managing and developing the individual. On top of that, they might not perform in the role and the business could suffer. I must be insane and I know I'm creating questions in your mind about my leadership approach. Let me address a few of these concerns.
Friday, January 18, 2008
Team Building: Buying "Damaged Goods"
Tags: Career, Leadership, Training
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like and agree with the approach of taking on damaged goods.
One caveat is that you want your team to have a critical number stars that the rest of the team can play around before you take on too many people in the process of turning around careers. Even 4-5 stars in a team of ~20 should be enough.
Post a Comment