We all deride middle management. It’s that group of folks who are responsible for getting all the work done but they seem to lack the authority to make things happen. Sure, sometimes middle managers are fenced in and cannot affect the world around them without permission but I’d argue most of those limitations are self-imposed.
What’s keeping middle managers from stepping up and leading?
Fear.
To find out how to overcome this fear and be a successful leader from the middle of your organization, CLICK HERE to head over to Patti Blackstaffe's blog where I explain the three things you must do to break out of the middle management rut and become a powerful middle leader. And while you're there subscribe to her blog - there's a lot of great leadership info there.
- Mike Figliuolo at thoughtLEADERS, LLC
- Get the latest updates on my upcoming book One Piece of Paper - CLICK HERE
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Tired of Being Middle Management? Try Being a Middle Leader
Tags: Leadership
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Read your bog today over at Patti's site. Your words reasonated as that is how i have tried to be a middle level leader for years. However, in the 3 federal agencies (2 interior agencies and the Corps of Engineers) where I have worked these ideas have been successful for me as I have been the recipient of awards every year of my 29 year federal career. Un fortunately it appears that my attempts to move up the ladder have been thwarted because I have no fear. Do not get me wrong I understand the political savvy needed to rise above my current level but my middle level past although successful appears to strike fear in those above such that I have not been promoted despite my many attempts. I even entered the Executive Leadership Program to show my interest in learning more to be able to deal with reality as upper management. I am beginning to think it is the conservative behind the times managment attitude of my present agency. I have inquired to upper management in a safe setting as to the good old boy management style of the agency and I was told yes it is real and you need to respect it. I have tried to move outside the agency and so far no luck but I really like the mission of my current agency despite the management issues. Do you have any suggestions for me or is this just an issue with federal service.
@Anonymous - I applaud your efforts and your willingness to step up. I completely understand the cultural issues you face when you do so (and it's not just the government where that bad behavior happens - it happens in the private sector too). All I can suggest is keep doing great work, look for ways to step up as a leader, avoid burning bridges/excessive conflict because they'll punish you for it, and keep looking for opportunities on other teams or in other agencies where your skills and efforts will be appreciated. Sorry I can't be more helpful - you're in a tough spot. Hopefully one day someone at more senior levels takes notice of your leadership and makes good things happen for you.
Post a Comment